IN AN EMERGENCY
If you think you are in a true emergency and are not sure what to do, the safest option is always to call 9-1-1 immediately.
If your child requires emergency care, we recommend going to the nearest emergency department. Please call our office as soon as possible if your child’s insurance requires prior authorization for ED visits. There are pediatric emergency departments at St. Mary’s Hospital, VCU Hospital and Chippenham Medical Center.
If you are not sure whether your child’s medical situation can wait to be addressed during office hours, please contact the doctor on-call. For urgent matters that can’t wait until office hours, there are several local urgent care options in addition to the emergency department. Please confirm with your insurance company that urgent care is covered before visiting an urgent care facility.
KidMed offers after-hours urgent care specifically for children of all ages at locations in Midlothian, Glen Allen, and Mechanicsville.
- Poison Control 1-800-222-1222
- Local Poison Control 804-828-9123
After Hours Nurse Hotlines:
- Aetna 1-800-556-1555
- Anthem Healthkeepers 1-800-382-9625
- Anthem 1-800-337-4770 (option #1)
- Cigna 1-800-244-6224
- Great West Health Care Plan 1-800-663-8081
- Southern Health 1-800-279-1878
- United Health Care 1-877-365-7950
- Virginia Premier 1-800-256-1982
- Optima Health 1-800-394-2237